Re: new FC1 install problems

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 01:27, Jay Daniels wrote:

>> > :) 6.0? rootkitted yet?  Bind was leakey, very leaky. But I
>> > : think, if  I
>> >
>> > dug deep enough in all this detrious in here, that I could come
>> > up  with a full 2? cd install of rh5.1.
>>
>> when i worked for lycos we had a group of engineers who were
>> installing 6.2 and weren't applying any patches ... keep in mind,
>> this was the summer of 2002.  the things were comprimised in less
>> than a day, one was even taken over in less than 2 hours after
>> installation.  i donated my box set of 6.2 to the library, looking
>> back i think that was a mistake =]

Yes, it was.  Our mail server was kitted after about 6 months of
uptime, but we were doing something else on it and thought it was
acting a bit funny, so we re-booted it, cutting the hacker off in
mid-install.  We unplugged the network cable, and cleaned it up all
without a re-install.  Jim and I learned a lot about linux those 3
days.  Its been rebooted twice since, both times by power failures
that outlasted the el-cheapo ups powering it.

> [...]
>> -+(duncanbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> -+(http://www.linuxadvocate.net
>
>I have Slackware 96 and RH 4.2 Biltmore on cdrom here somewhere.  I
>wouldn't think about using them, but if you don't run any servers,
> you are the only user, and behind a good firewall... I don't see
> why you couldn't run either of these.
>
>I think it was 4.2, maybe 5.0 Hurricain, that had the exmh MUA built
>in tcl/tk?  Pretty darn good mail reader!
>
>Found in search, not mine,
>screenshot: http://www.ee.ryerson.ca:8080/~elf/xapps/exmh.gif
>
>Thinking about apps that come and go.  I liked exmh and if it was
> here instead of mutt, I would probably use it.  Also love minicom,
> the Telix clone.  Even today, I sometimes use it to login and see
> who's online.  More correctly, who is still using a modem!
>
>When I first installed Linux (Slackware) in 96/97, I was a CF when
> it came to vi or emacs, but minicom was very familiar.  So I just
> used pico until I got the hang of the other editors.  I never
> really studied, it was almost like not memorizing a phone number
> but after you called a few times you remember it.
>
>Don't consider myself from the computer generation.  We didn't have
>computers in school, or should I say... we were not permitted to
> touch them - and why would we? those tandy's and apple ii's suck.
>
>If I had to go back to a modem I would proably pack up my stuff and
>store it in a closet, have my home phone disconnected and just use
> my cell...  Well, I don't have to use a modem but I have thought
> about cutting the line many times.
>
>ISP's and Telcoms thought no one would ditch highband, but they
>are... and not in favor of modems either.  Many people are cutting
> the lines and going wireless.
>
>I expect many things to change in the next few years and I hope we
> are all here to enjoy it.
>
>I use Linux and it's one of my favorite things.  My favorite however
>is my radio/cell phone with it's walkie-talkie feature and free
>weekend calls - it's hard to beat.
>
>Next is the TV.  People are lazy, the TV spoon feeds you.  I don't
>think the net will ever really replace TV (one-way communication).
>
>I have been online since 93 or 94.  It's an addiction, but as you
> grow older, it's not the most important thing in your life.  You
> will forget things you learned, you will have to relearn things you
> thought you knew.  People come and go, they find other interest.
>
>Notice how internet use dies during the summer months, compared to
>winter months?  People get out more. Of course there is a group of
>people who stay online all the time.  They come and go too.
>
>Had a network administrator once that didn't even own a computer.
> He had no computer at home!  I couldn't belive it, but now I do.
> You change when you get older.  You set priorities.  Manager type
> personality?  Not really, you just get older and ask yourself where
> did the time go!
>
>Someone once told me, "In the end, everybody cuts the line."  I'm

You'll probably die online, like me.  I'm sure I will.  I just don't
know when, thank God.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)