Re: Old farts and new Linux

duncan brown wrote:

John Nichel said:

Same here....I still have the 800XL. Did you spend the $350 on the
EXTERNAL 5-1/4" floppy drive, and notch your disks too? *L*

wow. i remember doing that. i completely forgot, but now it's coming back, lucidly. i spent an entire afternoon after school with an x-acto knife (or something very similar) modding discs that the library was going to throw out.

-d

Duncan, you work too hard... Single-hole hole punchers worked great for this task - cut out a semi-circle instead of a whole hole.. :) Sure it wasn't square, but it worked like a charm, without the possibility of slicing the disk [or your hand]...

Now, for the 3.5" floppies, it was a little more difficult, because a hole-puncher left a much larger hole than was required. For this task, I found that a swiss-army knife with a leather-punch tool to be effective [albeit a little slow].

Too bad we can't do the same thing to double the size of CD's or DVD's. and instead must revert to more primitive means, such as data compression... :]

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -