Re: Auto invoke browser upon wvdial successful Internet connection

Keven Ring wrote:

Bob Shaffer wrote:

This will do what you want.

#!/bin/bash

nohup wvdial 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null &

while true; do
   if [ -n "`/sbin/pidof pppd`" ]; then
       # successfully connected
       mozilla &
       exit
   fi
   if [ -z "`/sbin/pidof wvdial`" ]; then
       # wvdial failed and exited
       xmessage "Failed to connect."
       exit
   fi
   sleep 1
done

# end of script

It doesn't represent my life's work or anything, but it will work.
You can just run "killall -2 wvdial" to close the connection.

Argh! Using a sledge hammer to drive a 6 penny nail....

Sure, you *can* do that. However, since the docs on pppd indicate that it will invoke the script /etc/ppp/ip-up when a connection has been established, and furthermore, the /etc/ppp/ip-up script [at least, as distributed by Fedora] looks for [and then invokes] /etc/ppp/ip-up.local, you could do exactly what you suggested with the following:

#!/bin/sh
mozilla &

This uses the systems built-in notification mechanism, rather than writing custom scripts which may or may not take into account various failure options. As far as "killing" your wvidal process, how about "ifdown ppp0" instead? Alternatively, you could use the "modem lights" applet to your panel, and connect or disconnect from a GUI.

You can actually set up pppd to dial for you, and dial on demand if you
want too. That way when you open a browser it will automatically dial for
you if you're offline.

While interesting, this would kind-of defeat the purpose of using wvdial, wouldn't it? It also doesn't seem to be very effective in dynamic situations [such as typical dial-up, where you obtain a different IP every time you connect], but I could be wrong....

Many thanks for another alternative to invoke the browser, but if you don't mind, please be a little more specifig how to use the "modem lights" applet to panel, and connect or disconnect from a GUI, sounds like that is the way kppp is using, but would like to use this on wvdial, I want to do this is just for further explore the variation of using wvdial - and I like wvdial.