Re: new FC1 install problems

duncan brown wrote:
Gene Heskett said:

Both :)  And an old fart (69) to boot. I started on much much simpler
machines back in the 70's, writing a commercialy used app for the RCA
1802 cpu with nothing but the programmer manual and the machines hex
monitor.  Unforch, thats ill-equipt me to deal with os's whose src  code
is in the general area of 200 megabytes. :(

completely offtopic, so please excuse me alexander.

and i don't mean to insult you in anyway, but... i wonder who's the oldest
computer literate linux user out there?  i sort of have the mentality of
the hippies back in the 60s/70s, don't trust anyone over 30 =] ... it's
hard for me to believe that someone over 30 uses linux personally, once
you're over 30 you have to start thinking more like a manager =]... then
again, i'm almost over that line, but i don't feel like i'm that close =]

-d

A proper lady never reveals her age, but I did have an analog computer to play with in 1960...remember when Dr. Dobbs was a newsletter and was a charter subscriber to Byte. Back in the good olde days, if you couldn't handle the business end of a wirewrap gun, it didn't happen.

The first thing I had the remotely qualified as a store-bought computer was a kit that had a 6800 clocked at a whopping 500 kilohertz...complete with 256 *bytes* of memory and a really nifty from panel with leds and toggle switches...of course, in those days, Woz, Jobs and Billy Gates were still wandering around in short pants. Hand assembly of machine code toggled into the front panel was the only way to do anything unless you were really lucky and owned a TTY...110 baud Baudot code, anyone?

Ah, for the halcyon days when homebrewing was the only way...when 1771s and 6845s were to become cutting edge, when DeMorgan's Theorem and 100 TTL packages on a logic diagram was generally required to do anything useful...and when a primitive assembler was a real luxury?

KAS