Re: Old farts and new Linux (was: new FC1 install problems)

Steve Searle said:
> Around 03:44pm on Monday, May 03, 2004 (UK time), duncan brown scrawled:
>
>> and i don't mean to insult you in anyway, but... i wonder who's the
>> oldest
>> computer literate linux user out there?  i sort of have the mentality of
>> the hippies back in the 60s/70s, don't trust anyone over 30 =] ... it's
>> hard for me to believe that someone over 30 uses linux personally, once
>> you're over 30 you have to start thinking more like a manager =]... then
>> again, i'm almost over that line, but i don't feel like i'm that close
>> =]
>
> Well I'm 43 and have 5 PCs/Servers in my study running Gnu/Linux.  I
> started as a trainee programmer on a Honeywell maiunframe in '79.
>
> And I know there are plenty older and more skilled than me.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve
>
> --
>
> (o<     www.stevesearle.com
> //\     Powered by Fedora Core
> V_/_    No MS products were used in the creation of this message
>
>   3:57pm  up 56 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.13, 0.17
> --

 Hi Duncan,

 I know the mentality that you speak of, as I was there at the time ;-)
One thing that I've learned since then is that generalities generally
suck.

  I'm 52 and I have about a dozen Linux boxes at home (IPCop firewall, 4
Debian SPARC boxes and the rest are RH 9 or Fedora FC1). I also support
about 30 RedHat servers for my company using RH 7.2/7.3/8.0/9.0/RHEL3
and a few Fedora desktops. I started in computers in 1976 as a COBOL
programmer supporting IBM OS/VS2 (MVS) timesharing. Since then I've
learned and supported IBM VM/CMS, SunOS, Solaris, MassComp, HP Rangers,
DEC Ultrix, Amdahl UTS, SCO, and a few others that aren't worth
remembering.
 I picked up Linux around 1991 (SLS with 0.99 kernels) and my first Linux
install involved downloading 45 3.5" floppy images over a 1200 BAUD
dialup, installing it on a spare partition of a Windows 3.11 system. I've
managed to sneak Linux into most companies that I've worked for, having
to "educate" ignorant IS guys on several occasions. For several years now
it's been part of my requirements for a job that I be allowed to run
Linux on my personal workstation or use my personal laptop (which now
runs Fedora). I still have to support folks using Windows 2000 and XP,
but I usually manage to keep that to a minimum as I don't use any
Microsoft products, so I'm not that current on them any more.

Dave Gavin

--
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed
out of a tube.  That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....