Re: kudzu interaction with printers w/o standby mode (Canon BJC 255)

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 11:53, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > That makes sense. However, why is it that you can only detect a printer
> > (maybe the case with other hw?) when booting up? Limitations in how you
> > can talk to the printer hardware? If I run 'kudzu -s' from a VT once
> > Fedora is loaded up, it returns with nothing.
>
> Two scenarios:
>
> - the parallel port could be held open by another program
>   - or -
> - it's already in the config, so it doesn't count as new
>
> Bill
Ok, again, that makes sense to me. Heh, you're really clearing the
cobwebs for me here! Well, my next logical question would be
understanding the correlation between kudzu and hwbrowser. Doing a
'kudzu -ps' indeed doesn't show the printer config, and I believe this
is what hwbrowser does when it's "searching for devices"? Would it not
be unreasonable for to, after probing with kudzu, to also check (diff)
this output with what's in the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf DB? That way, even
if the printer wasn't probed and detected on boot, it could still be
listed in hwbrowser.

Regards,
-Matt
--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.