Re: Large partitions

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 03:28:29PM +0200, Davide Dolcini wrote:
> a scsi external port) with FC 1 and to access it by the network (samba)
>
> So the plans are to buy a promise or proware raid eide to scsi storage
> unit with 14 / 15 hd slots, and 250 Gb Hard Disks.
>
> We already have a storage unit which holds 1,5 Terabytes,  it's
> formatted with jfs and attached to a rack xeon server
>
> What kind of partition is it better to hold that large amount of data?
> I'm not a great expert of  jfs, neither of other partitions than ntfs,
> ext2, ext3 and reiserfs but they gave me this task.
>
> I hope i explained myself well, anyway thanks

Large amounts of data is not enough information.

First do some analysis of the files you currently have.  Size, access
patterns, age (archival), number of users, access controls, etc.

Then list the various types of file systems you are interested in and
do some testing....  Whack some quick scripts to populate the new FS with
files and dirs that mimic the expected use and move the bits in and
out.

Devices fail most often in the first week or so... take this time to
burn them in and test them.  You are also working with a raid.  Check
out failure modes and recovery instructions BEFORE you go live with
real data.  With the price of disks the data value will exceed the
value of the hardware many fold so have a plan.

Some file systems get real sluggish when they are full.  Be sure to test
it full, empty and all the in between.

Currently I like ext3 because it is the current 'no brainer' Liniux
FS.  Put it on the list.  I have had good experience with XFS be sure
to put it on the list of things to test.

Make sure that the largest partition FS size is supported.
Largest possible file too.

Test quotas and other user management tools.

Do not ignore backup, recovery.

Will you have some sort of line power backup.  Summer is coming in the
US, electrical storms, rolling blackouts.  air conditioning failure, ....

IMO, The largest risk is operator error so keep it simple.  If you
have to do some system recovery stack the deck so things go smoothly.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l