Re: 3Com 3c2000 NIC support

Forget the make load
do a make then a make install
At this time you should find the 3c2000.o in the /lib/modules/your_kernel/...
If you don't find it the build procedure is not correct.
Gaetan

Dave a écrit :

I edited the beginning of the makefile to have the compiler CC = gcc32 as
with the base FC1 install.  Everything appears to compile properly but there
is no 3c2000.o in the /lib ..../net/ directory.  (Note:  This was the 3rd
time that I ran the make load command, I removed all of the ".o" files first
before re-compiling)

At the end of the compile the command "insmod $(TARGET)" from the makefile
runs loading the 3c2000.o

When I try running the network configuration utility I do not see the
3c2000, nor is there any alias in the /etc/modules.conf

/var/log/messages has:
: 3c2000 3COM Gigabit NIC Driver Version All
: Copyright ...
: Copyright...
: eth0: 3com Gigabit LOM (3C940)
:         PrefPort:A RlmtMode Check Link State

When I check the network configuration utility for a 3c940 it is not their
either.
This part of the makefile does not appear to be run:

   # Module installation
   #
   .PHONY : install
   install: $(TARGET)
    @echo "Found kernel version $(KERNEL_VER)"
    @echo "Install directory is $(INSTALL_DIR)"
    mkdir -p $(INSTALL_DIR)
    install -m 644 $(TARGET) $(INSTALL_DIR)
    depmod -a

   #

I checked to make sure (as much as I could) that all of the directories that
the variables refer to do actually exist, I wasn't sure about the KERNEL_VER
from looking in the version.h.

Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "yavorsky gaetan" <gaetan.yavorsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

What do you have as problem loading the 3c2000.o into your kernel ?
I hope that you correctly have built the driver ?
( edit top Makefile of linux src to match you kernel, set the correct C
compiler i.e gcc32, make a build of the 3c2000 driver, and then make
install )
if so you should find 3c2000.o in your /lib/modules/xxx  ( for me :
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/drivers/net/3c2000.o )
If so try to load the module by hand : /sbin/insmod 3c2000
Then have a look in your /var/log/messages file. You should see your NIC
here.
After this, you should be able to run the netconfig utility to configure
your card.
after configuration you should see a line like :
alias eth0 3c2000
in the /etc/modules.conf file.
Let me know if it's working.
Gaetan

Dave a écrit :

----- Original Message ----- From: "yavorsky gaetan" <gaetan.yavorsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
I have an Asus P4P800 this the same NIC ( 3C940 ).
Prior to kernel 2.4.22-1.2188, I had to download the 3C2000 driver and
install it.
Now ( with this kernel ) the NIC if fully recognized, and the used
driver is sk98lin.
Hope this help.
Gaetan.

Gaetan:

Problem is getting connected to get the updates. Could you give me some
more information on how to get this driver up and running in the base
install with kernel 2.4.22-1.2115? I seem to be missing something in the
installation process.
Dave

DELETED