Re: A reboot user

gary.stainburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Friday 30 Apr 2004 1:21 pm, WipeOut wrote:

Hi,

I have a colocated server and when I have to get them to reboot it they
just hit the power switch which can't be good for filesystems and
databases..

Is there a way I can create a user account that will reboot the server
on login?

This way I can give them a user account and they simply login with that
account and it reboots the server..

I am guessing I need to create a login script or something similar but I
am not sure how to get the system to execute the script at login if that
is the way to do it..

Thnaks..

Try creating a passwd entry with a uid and gid of '0' (same as root) and set the path for the shell to be a program which simply calls shutdown with the relevent parameters.

The program will be run when the user logs in, and the user will be logged out again as soon as the program exits.

(Not tried it though)

IMHO it would be safer, cleaner and more practical - if you have no ssh access - to create a non priviledged user that can 'sudo reboot'. If you take a few minutes to read through the sudo man pages you'll find it can be a very useful tool indeed.

neil.