There is a better way! (was: RE: Hugh's long sig)

At 03:42 4/27/2004, you wrote:
Why not talk to me directly, as the email administrator for Servisair I am the droids you're looking for?

As a suggestion: given that domains can be registered for $12/year, I have registered *two* domains for my company, one of which is entirely unrelated to our business. Employees get one email address in each domain (company.com and personal.com) and are requested to keep their personal and business email entirely separate. Jokes, pictures, chain mail, etc. is expected to go through personal mailboxes. Also, no backups are kept of personal mail (and the corporate backups got a LOT smaller).

It is stated company policy that employees *are* responsible for anything they send out on "company e-letterhead" and that the company is *not* responsible for anything they send out from their personal box. So they all still use the LAN, and the company is legally protected, and everyone is thrilled and the employees feel that we care for their needs and interests, and no disclaimers at all are necessary. Best of all worlds, I say.

Personally, I think that if you have to say that the company bears no responsibility for anything the employee says, then the company doesn't trust its employees and needs to change them. By definition, if one is to do business over email, then one *MUST* be able to represent the company's official position and the disclaimer is either useless or counterproductive or both. But that's just me.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com