Re: What are my chances with this Laptop?

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 17:42, Doug Robson wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have an old Digital HiNote Ultra 2000 laptop
> which has only a 2.33 Mhz original Pentium with MMX
> processor and 96 MB memory and a 3.8 GB Hard Drive.

According to the release notes you need at least a 200 Mhz for text and
400 Mhz for graphics.  Your hd size is adequate.  Memory is adequate for
text but you need at least 192Mb for graphics.

> It has an SVGA video adapter by Chips & Technologies
> using their 65554 chip and has 1024 x 768 resolution.
> Sound is by ES1878 chip.
> Maybe big problem with Xircom Credit Card dual
> function 56K modem and 10/100 ethernet PCMCIA card?
> CDROM is Toshiba XM-1702B.
>
> I would really like to get my Linksys Wireless-B
> Notebook Adapter card working with it also.  Is there
> a BIOS issue with older laptops working with wireless
> cards?

Did you check to see if you can even insert your wireless card in the
pcmcia slot?  Newer cards use 32bit cardbus configuration while older
laptops use a 16bit bus.  Cardbus cards are physically the same size but
they are configured to not plug in a 16bit slot. You can purchase 16bit
wireless cards so it is possible you have one.

> This laptop came out "Designed for Windows 95," so
> that may give you some idea of its vintage.
>
> What are my chances of Fedora working and getting 'X'
> and all the peripherals working?

I would suggest searching the fedora-list archives for alternatives.  I
know it has come up before, but can't remember what distribution was
recommended.

Good luck,
--
Clifford Snow