Re: Yum Feature Idea/Request

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:43:10 -0400, Phil Hagen
<phil+fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to be able to specify just a certain repository (or more than
> one) to use for yum actions.  For example, I have about 5 or so
> repositories in /etc/yum.conf because I like to keep an eye on the
> non-official releases that have been made public (i.e. FC1-testing, Dag,
> FreshRPMS, etc).  However, I'd like to be able to do something like the

A couple of things.
This isn't the best mailinglist for yum feature request  discussions,
if your goal is to convince the active yum develoepers. There is an
upstream yum development list where your idea might actually be seen
by the people who might choose to implement it and if you want to file
a feature request, filing one via bugzilla is probably better than
even the yum mailinglists.

Second, I'm not really sure this is a good feature, since how you are
using yum to sort of keep track of multiple offerings even if you
aren't going to be installing from them is sort of not a good idea.
It's certaintly well outside the design goals for yum. And i think you
can already do this sort of thing with yum -c config.file  by using
multople config files, each one dedicated to a self consistance set of
repos.  mixing repositories willy-nilly, isn't such a great idea, and
certaintly yum is not designed to be used to to keep up with several
inconsistant repos all in the same config file.

-jef