Re: Dual Head with Laptop

Pete Schmitt wrote:

Is it possible to Dual head a laptop. I have an old Pressario running FC1 and it shows that I can configure it for dual head. When ever I do, the XF86Config is broke and X can't start. Have to restore from the .backup version. All I can see is the same desktop on the laptop and external monitor.

While this will depend on your video card and laptop, it is possible.

I have a Dell Latitude, D600, with a dock station. The laptop has an ATI Radeon 9000 M9 video card, and I have an external flat panel monitor.

I have the laptop display running at 1400x1050, and the external flat panel at 1280x1024. I have 1 large desktop. If I don't set the monitor refresh rates to the same thing [that is, I set one to be a 1400x1050, and the other to be a 1280x1024], then it won't work...

Below are the relevant sections of my XF86Config:

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier     "Multihead layout"
       Screen      0   "Screen0"
       Screen      1   "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
      InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
       InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "Monitor0"
       VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
       ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
       HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
       VertRefresh  59.0 - 75.0
       Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "Monitor1"
       VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
       ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
       HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
       VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
       Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Videocard0"
       Driver      "radeon"
       VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
       BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility M9"
       Option      "AGPMode" "4"
       BusID       "PCI:01:00:0"
       Screen      0
EndSection

Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Videocard1"
       Driver      "radeon"
       VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
       BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility M9"
       BusID       "1:0:0"
       Option      "AGPMode" "4"
       BusID       "PCI:01:00:0"
       Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1400x1050"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "Screen1"
       Device     "Videocard1"
       Monitor    "Monitor1"
       DefaultDepth     24
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth     24
               Modes    "1280x1024"
       EndSubSection
EndSection

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -