Still trying to understand the problem with file associations

I am running the  gnome desktop and have associated
the mp3 file with RealPlayer.  The problem is when I
double click on a mp3 files I get a path error even
though the path is correct.  Is there some way I can
edit the file association?  I've tried to do it
through the Nautilus file manager but once you set the
file association with a particular program you can no
longer edit that program.  The following is the error.

"Request not found.  The link you followed may be
outdated or inaccurate.

file:///home/<my directory>/<2nd
directory>/<song>.mp3"

Again that is the correct path, I know I missing
something obvious but I seem to be blinded by
frustration.

Thank you

Mac