Re: How to boot without the X window system?

At 4:06 PM +0100 4/22/04, Gary Stainburn wrote:
On Thursday 22 Apr 2004 4:05 pm, Charles Landau wrote:
 >Elvio Caruana wrote:
 >>Charles,
 >>
 >>When X starts and fails, press CRTL+ALT+F1 to go to console mode.
 >>Log in as root, then edit /etc/inittab with your favourite editor.
 >>
 >>You probably didn't know that you can go to a console by
 >>CTL+ALT+F[1-6] .. and that will solve you many problems.
 >
 >*He said he can't boot.  Thus he can't edit inittab*

 Right. I actually did know about CRTL+ALT+F1, but once in console
 mode I don't get a login prompt.

In that case, have a look at /etc/inittab. You should see something like

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1

once per vertual console, usually from 1 to 5 - it may be that console 1 is
missing. This is common to prevent it stamping on bootup messages.  Try doing
CTRL+ALT+F2 instead.

All consoles are there in /etc/inittab. Console 1 was simply busy running X. The answer was to use CTRL+ALT+Backspace to terminate X.

It's good to know about the other consoles, though. Thanks.