Re: How to boot without the X window system?

Elvio Caruana wrote:

Charles,

When X starts and fails, press CRTL+ALT+F1 to go to console mode.
Log in as root, then edit /etc/inittab with your favourite editor.

You probably didn't know that you can go to a console by CTL+ALT+F[1-6] .. and that will solve you many problems.

*He said he can't boot. Thus he can't edit inittab*

Right. I actually did know about CRTL+ALT+F1, but once in console mode I don't get a login prompt.

The easiest way is at the fedora splash menu

In my case that would be GRUB.

press "a"

then add " 3 " to the end of the line and boot to run level 3.

Thanks, that works. Now I'm able to start debugging my X problem.

Now you can do what is needed to get X to run, simply use "startx" to test it and "ctr-alt-bksp" to kill the server for the test.
Once it is running properly just reboot back to the graphics mode.