writing to Windows partition

As I mentioned in a previous message, I'm running dual boot WinXP/Fedora. To enable the easy access to certain data files from both OS's, I've set up a vfat partition. My problem is that everything on this partition has "root" as both owner and group, and only root has write access, so I have to jump through hoops to edit any file there while in Linux.

I've tried changing permissions, as well as user and group ownership, but to no avail. I've looked in /etc/inittab and everything looks normal (i.e., default). I'm sure there must be an easy way to do this, but I'm still too new to Linux to know what it might be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick