nv verses the world

I read a post that a guy called Alan made that the 3D video folks would rather work with friendlier vendors than Nvidia. I have also noticed that there is a lot of post along the lines of ' nv doesn't do this or that' and that NVidia binary explodes with FC2. All this is a bit depressing since I have an Nvidia card too! I even went to the trouble of building a new kernel so that the Nvidia would work, which is a bit daunting for a beginner and is a real pain. So I figured it may take weeks ( if ever) for Fedora and Nvidia to play nicely together but it'll only take me 20mins to go down to PCWorld and get another video card. So the question is ... What is the most capable card that I can get that is totally supported by GPL drivers. I know this is really a back to front way to solve this problem but I am fed up with this situation.

best wishes