Initializing drive in USB enclosure

I have recently acquired a Western Digital EIDE 80 GB hard drive. Separately, I acquired an external USB enclosure. I would like to get the hard drive working in the enclosure to provide myself with some portable disk space.

First question: is it possible to initialize a hard drive in an USB external enclosure? I haven't figured out how to do so from either Linux or Windows. My suspicion is that I will have to mount the hard drive in the computer case, initialize it, then remove it and mount it in the external enclosure.

Second question: if it is possible to initialize a hard drive in an USB enclosure, how to I go about doing so? If anyone has any pointers to appropriate How-To's, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson