Re: smp kernel update notice

Jay Daniels wrote:
Doesn't work.  Locks up as usual just after enabling quotas and on the
line that says enabling swap space.  Locks up cold:(

Looking into the boot scripts, swap is enabled in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. The next step is to start the serial ports, then load st if required and then usb-storage. It might be one of those that's causing the problem.

In the past, when I've had to track down boot time hangs, I've run the boot scripts with the -x flag, or placed strategic 'set -x'/'set +x' commands within the scripts to trace execution. I've not done it on a Linux system but the principle should be the same. You might try putting a set -x in rc.sysinit just before it sets up swap to see what command is issued before the hang.

BTW, my SMP systems are Supermicros. The one I'm using for my current tests is an X5DPL-8GM. It doesn't have SCSI or hardware RAID. I don't enable sound or USB - it's a server and doesn't require either.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555