Re: RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

FYI - Windows 98 has already passed it's EOL.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

There is no more support or fixes for Windows 98 unless it just happens to work when they made the patch for Windows ME or Windows 2000. (Like the patches over the past few days.)

There's already vulnerabilities in Windows 98 that Microsoft has announced that they will not fix.

Preston Crawford wrote:

Yes and no. Just keep this in mind. Microsoft, the "Great Satan" in the
eyes of many in the Linux community, is STILL supporting Windows 98 even
though (A) it's a piece of junk and (B) it's AT LEAST 6 years old if not
older. So this "sticker shock" you're seeing is that there's a standard
out there. And that standard is that when you pay for software (which
RH9 users did if they bought the boxed set or paid for RHN) you get
support for at least more than a year. In the case of Windows 98 6+. I'm
not saying I agree that that's reasonable; especially when you consider
that Red Hat is a much smaller operation than Microsoft (at least in
terms of funds). I'm just saying that people are used to buying software
off the shelf and getting more support than they received with RH9. RH9
was a very unusual case. They released it and almost as soon as they
released it it was EOLed. That's not good for PR. That doesn't make the
company look good.