Re: Time server...how to set it up on FC1?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 09:00 4/12/2004, you wrote:
> >The problem: when I type "rdate -p MACHINE", it shows the correct time and
> >date from "MACHINE". But, when I do "ntpdate", I get:
> >
> >"ntpdate [process-id]: the NTP socket is in use, exiting"
>
> The cause: Network Time Protocol (ntp) is different from the "time"
> protocol used by rdate, even though they use the same port. So ntpdate is
> correct... you *are* using its port to do something else.

OK. So...

> I suggest that you set up ntpd on your server.

It is currently running, but not as a server to another machine.

> Then, the "adjust date and
> time" procedure used on the graphical clock (which uses ntp) will work
> perfectly. As a reference, here is my ntp.conf file which will (modified,
> of course) be good enough for your server. Notice that the first line
> "restrict default nomodify notrap notrust" will let *anyone* sync to this
> server but not modify it; if you wanted *only* your network to sync, you
> would set this to "restrict default ignore" and then allow access for your
> client network in the section labeled "client network".
>
> [rpaiz@apollo rpaiz]$ cat /etc/ntp.conf
> # Prohibit general access to this service.
> restrict default nomodify notrap notrust

OK, I have that line on there.

> restrict 127.0.0.1

Commented out, as above...

> # -- CLIENT NETWORK -------
> # Permit systems on this network to synchronize with this
> # time service.  Do not permit those systems to modify the
> # configuration of this service.  Also, do not use those
> # systems as peers for synchronization.
> #restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap

Yep, commented out...

> # --- OUR TIMESERVERS -----
> # or remove the default restrict line
> # Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not
> # permit the source to query or modify the service on this system.
> restrict 128.59.59.177 mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap
> restrict 192.5.41.40   mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap
> server 128.59.59.177 prefer burst
> server 192.5.41.40

I have this:
restrict 131.156.1.XX mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap
server XXXX.cso.niu.edu prefer burst
server xxx.xxx.xxx.edu

(I "XXXX"ed out part of the numbers and name to avoid spamming and other
undesirables)

> # --- NTP MULTICASTCLIENT ---
> #multicastclient                        # listen on default 224.0.1.1
> # restrict 224.0.1.1 mask 255.255.255.255 notrust nomodify notrap
> # restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap

Yep, commented out here, too...

> # --- GENERAL CONFIGURATION ---
> #
> # Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for backup
> # and when no outside source of synchronized time is available. The
> # default stratum is usually 3, but in this case we elect to use stratum
> # 0. Since the server line does not have the prefer keyword, this driver
> # is never used for synchronization, unless no other other
> # synchronization source is available. In case the local host is
> # controlled by some external source, such as an external oscillator or
> # another protocol, the prefer keyword would cause the local host to
> # disregard all other synchronization sources, unless the kernel
> # modifications are in use and declare an unsynchronized condition.
> #
>  server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
> fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

This is uncommented out as well.

> driftfile /blah/blah/blah
> broadcastdelay  0.008
> #
> authenticate yes
> #
> keys            /blah/blah/blah

Yep, all thse are correct. Then I type /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd restart
and...I still get from other machines: "the NTP socket is in use, exiting"
I should be able to access it from ANY machine, the way I have it set up
now...

E-mail: gilbert@xxxxxxx                                               ***