Re: Frontpage / Dreamweaver for Linux

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 11:24, Jay Daniels wrote:
> Scott, did you install IE in your ~/.wine or system wide (root
> install)?

I installed IE in my user .wine/c/"Program Files" as this is my
workstation box and I am the only user.
There are a couple of gotcha'a on the  Franks Corner page. I never did
get to the part about some components were not installed. If I remember
correctly the install aborted abnormally with an error or hung but I
continued on following the instructions ;)
Another problem with the instruction page is that the cab files were in
.wine/c/"Windows Update Setup Files" vs c:\Windows\Windows Update Setup
Files as stated in the instructions.
The first time I fired up IE6 it complained that the install wasn't
complete but wine wineboot fixed that. Then when I started IE6 it didn't
connect to the internet. Another wine wineboot and that problem was
solved.
When I downloaded the installer I did so to .wine/c/"My Documents" and
started wine ie6setup.exe  from within my fake windows system. I don't
know if this is necessary or not though.
One thing that I have noticed from installing IE6, Dreamweaver and
Paltalk is that none of the installs were smooth. There was always an
error message and the install never completed but they did end up
working:) Expect error messages during installs! I did have to reinstall
Paltalk after installing IE6 as it caused some problems with the main
room screen having no text area.
I'm trying to install Office2000 now but it calls for DCOM95 and I
installed DCOM98 for the IE6 install. DCOM95 won't install because I
have my windows set to win98 in the .wine config file and it's expecting
win95 so the install aborts. I have a question in the Franks Corner
applications forum about this to see if it will cause conflicts with
what I have installed.

> The way I understand it, if root user installs a windows program with
> wine it would be available to all users?  Is this possible since
> normal users can't write to /usr/local/wine?

Sorry, can't help you here as I have not done any installs as root. I
may try that next.
I don't have a /usr/local/wine. I have /usr/lib/wine but I don't think
any of the installs do anything to those files. I believe that you are
just modifying files in ~.wine directories but I could be wrong.