RESOLVED: Problems Installing FC1 to SATA Hard Disk

Just a quick note to the list to say that the problems I was having
installing FC1 to a SATA HDD are resolved - I now have a full install of
FC1 with all updates running on the box.  Many thanks to everyone who sent
advice and info :)

For anyone who needs to do something similar, here are the steps I took:
1. Download the VIA drivers for the SATA Chipset from:
   http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/RAID/VIA_RAID_Linux_V100.zip
2. On a donor machine, which is running the stock 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
kernel, and which has as a minimum the kernel-sources and gcc32 packages
installed as well, uncompress the .zip file into a temporary location
(say, /root/VIA)
3. Change into the 'drivers' directory, and edit the file 'Makefile', change
   KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux
   KERNELDIR=/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build
4. Add a new line to the same file:
   CC=gcc32
5. save the file, and execute:
   ./dd.sh
6. This should create a directory called 'driverdisk', and inside there, a
file called 'viamraid.img'.  This is the driver disk image file.  Change
into the driverdisk directory, and do:
   dd if=./viamraid.img of=/dev/fd0
7. On the 'new' box, start the installation as normal (just hit enter at
the boot: prompt), and when you are told that no hard disks were found,
select "yes" to load new drivers.
8. Select "Add Driver", then press F2, insert the driver disk created on
the donor machine
9. select fd0, then hit OK.  The disk will be read, and the driver will be
added to the list
10. Select "Raid Controller, VIA Technologies" from the list
11. This will enable the RAID/SATA controller, select Done, and continue
with the installation as normal.
12. When the installation is complete, reboot, and follow through the
First Boot process.  When you see a desktop, press CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch
to a Console.
13. Login as root, and do:
    telinit 3
14. Login as root again, and connect to the internet (unless you're
connected already by LAN/DSL)
15. Edit /etc/modules.conf, change:
    alias scsi_hostcontroller viamraid
    alias scsi_hostcontroller sata_via
16. now do:
    yum -y update
17. When the updates are complete, reboot into kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
18. During startup, kudzu will detect the "new" VIA SATA controller,
select configure, boot will continue as normal.

That's "all" there is to it :)

In the murky past Chadley Wilson did say:
> Hi Mike I did mail to the list the links for the drivers but what is
> really scary is the size of the driver, I have no idea how to setup a
> floppy disc to provide the driver of this size, but maybe you could
> setup an ftp server somewhere with the driver on it, I have heard of
> this but never tried it.
> I am afraid it would be a bit out of my experience.
>
> good luck
>
> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 20:42, Mike Insch (as00000042) wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>> > Does your bios detect the drive?
>>
>> Yes, the BIOS detects the drive fine, I have it connected to SATA1
>> (Serial_Ch0).
>>
>> > If it doesn't the read the manual because we had similar issues with
>> > this board and windoseXplease here on the proline production line.
>> > We are the agents for Msi SA so if you could give me more info on your
>> > bios setup I could possible help.
>> > I will in the mean time send my contacts at msi mail requesting the
>> > linux drivers for your chipset. You could possible also get them from
>> > viarena.com
>>
>> I've looked on MSI's website, but there seems to only be drivers for
>> Windows.  I'll have a look on viarena.com though, cheers.
>>
>> > I will check for it might take some time though.
>> >
>> > Later...
> --
> Chadley - Linux Rocks
> Welcome to my world.
> This mail is free for distribution. You are free to - delete it - resend
> it - use it in anyway that makes you happy. I am not responsible for it
> or its content due to ignorance.
> Enjoy the adventures of Linux

Regards, Mike Insch, CCA, DipHE           ______________________________
      ___ ______  ___   ___  __   _      | AntiSpam System In Use With  |
     / _ \| __  \| _ \ / _ \|  \ | |     | This Domain! Address Reapers |
    | | | |   __/|| | | /_\ \ | \| |     | Will Be Tracked and          |
    | |_| | |\ \ ||_| | ___ | |\ | |     | Blacklisted! For More Info,  |
asxx@\___/|_| \_\|___/|_| |_|_| \__|.org | Mail as-info AT ordan.org    |