Re: Problems Installing FC1 to SATA Hard Disk

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 20:25, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 20:19, Mike Insch (as00000042) wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I hope someone can help me here - I've trued Google, Looking in Bugzilla,
> > been on #fedora on IRC, and a few other places with no luck!
> >
> > In short, I am trying to install Fedora Core 1 onto a SATA Hard Disk.  The
> > SATA HDD is the only Hard Disk in the system.  The problem is that the
> > installer cannot see the disk to do the install!
> >
> > The relevant bits of the system spec are:
> > Motherboard:  MSI KT6V-LSR (KT600 Chipset)
> > CPU:  Athlon XP 2600+
> > RAM:  2x Crucial 512MiB Modules
> > HDD:  Maxtor 6Y120M0 120GB SATA
>
> --
> Chadley - Linux Rocks
> Welcome to my world.
> This mail is free for distribution. You are free to - delete it - resend
> it - use it in anyway that makes you happy. I am not responsible for it
> or its content due to ignorance.
> Enjoy the adventures of Linux
>
> An IDE controller on the VT8237 chipset provides IDE HDD/CD-ROM with
> PIO, Bus Master and
>   Ultra DMA 133/100/66 operation modes.
>  - Can connect up to four Ultra ATA drives.
>
> • Serial ATA/150 controller integrated in VT8237.
>  - Up to 150MB/sec transfer speeds.
>  - Can connect up to two Serial ATA drives.
>  - Supports RAID 0 or RAID 1.
>

> Does your bios detect the drive?
> If it doesn't the read the manual because we had similar issues with
> this board and windoseXplease here on the proline production line.
> We are the agents for Msi SA so if you could give me more info on your
> bios setup I could possible help.
> I will in the mean time send my contacts at msi mail requesting the
> linux drivers for your chipset. You could possible also get them from
> viarena.com
> I will check for it might take some time though.
>
> Later...

I have got the link from MSi for your driver here it is...

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/RAID/VIA_RAID_Linux_V100.zip
and the readme i assume is in the zip file, could see it on the site

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=297#raid

You may need to make a driver disk for your installation
Just boot your discs with the linux expert option and follow
instructions to use it...

Cheers