Re: Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

Julien Olivier wrote:

I'm sure that they have their reasons. But, I don't think that its required in /etc/hosts... Just reversible [that is, they can look up an IP address for your hostname].

Oh I see. Well, my DHCP server gives me the following hostname:

[root@rfc1918 julien]# hostname
rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips

I think it's a weird hostname, and my modem probably does something
wrong...

Anyway, such a hostname is probably not reversible unless I add it
manually in /etc/hosts just next to 127.0.0.1, which works.

In my /etc/sysconfig/network file, I have the following:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

Then, my /etc/hosts file has:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost

It works for me with DHCP.

I have exactly the same thing in /etc/sysconfig/network, but when the
eth0 connection is started, my hostname changes to this strange
"rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips".

I'm very surprised, though, that your router gives you a different hostname every time, and isn't providing DNS services. Perhaps it does... Do you have the line:

PEERDNS=yes

in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

If not, add it, and see what happens...

If you get the same behavior as before, then:

In the /etc/sysconf/network file, change localhost.localdomain to something else, like
my.own.private.hostname.com

Then, in you /etc/hosts file, add "my.own.private.hostname.com" to the 127.0.0.1 line, eg:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost my.own.private.hostname.com

This will prevent the DHCP client from asking the server for a hostname. Of course, if the router is giving you a different IP address every time, then home networking will be really messed up....

--
Keven Ring | "Oh no, Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation | 7515 Colshire Drive | Bowl of Petunias -