Re: MUA Filters vs Procmail filters[was] RE: Mailing list procmail recipe

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 10:01:12AM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> [...]

Use tar to archive Maildir or mbox.  Maildir creates a file
for each message which uses an inode for each file.  You could have
plenty of disk space left but run out if inodes and your system would
crash!  This has happen to one system I was managing and I learned about
the "df -i" command to check disk inode use;)

If the only reason you are wanting to use Maildir format is because
you want the mail delivered to your ~/mail instead of
/var/spool/mail/$USER think about using a .forward file and procmail
instead.

In my .forward I have:
"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #drs"

In my ~/.procmailrc I have an entry like:
# Deliver to ~/mail/inbox instead of mail spool to control
# usage.  hum, no need to do maildir or run procmail suid;)
# $HOME and ~/mail is chmod 700!
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/inbox

note: the $MAILDIR variable in the .procmailrc has nothing to do with
Maildir format!

All my mail unless another filter catches it is send to ~/mail/inbox
which is in mbox format.  I am working on setting this up system wide
in /etc/skel

Don't just insert those file if you want to do that inbox thing.
There is a little more to it, read the procmail and .forward howtos.
Search google on how to set it all up.

Maildir is not all it's cracked up to be and since Fedora is setup to
use mbox by default, adding the .forward and using procmail will not
affect any system config files or other users.

As for imap, imap lets your mail stay on the server which is good for
home users so you can read all your mail from any network connection
while using another computer.

About Maildir
If anyone knows any reason to use Maildir format beside just putting
mail in your home directory, please comment?  I personally don't see
any benefits since mbox has worked great for years on many systems
around the world.

jay