Digital music volume problem.

The main reason I don't absolutely love digital music is the volume problem. I ripped everything to ogg vorbis with grip, and the volume of each song varies so widely that every third song I have to fix the volume. This is OK on my desktop but it's hard to imagine doing that with the laptop attached to my home audio system.

How do people handle this? Is there ripping software that will look for the volume peaks and set the volume for each track so the highest peaks are the same? I realize that wouldn't be perfect--across different genres of music especially--but maybe there is some smarter way. I have also heard that doing this can damage the quality of the music, since it may tend to amplify ambient noise, but I sincerely doubt that would bother me as much as having to interrupt dinner to change the volume on the stereo. Apart from grip, I checked Rhythmbox (Sound Juicer?) briefly and it didn't seem to have any such setting either. But maybe I'm blind.

The other way to handle it is in the player, I guess. I have an external USB SoundBlaster sound card that comes with some software that manages the volume from track to track, or so it claims. I kind of doubt it does this dynamically, but rather reads through the tracks and saves metadata in them that it then reads when playing. The software is Windows-only, I'm pretty sure, and I haven't tried it yet. Is there some Linux counterpart?

Thanks a lot,
Matt