Shuttle AN50R MB Hangs running linux

We have tried to get the Shuttle AN50R working with Linux to no
avail.

We have tested Fedora Core 1 Test 1.91 - 32 bit, Fedora Core 1 -
32 bit and 64 bit, Redhat 9.0, White Box Linux (Redhat 3.0 ES
clone), SUSE 32 bit and SUSE 64 bit version 9.0 on this
motherboard using the following configuration:

AN50R V1.3 with latest BIOS, (nForce3 based MB)
Athlon 3400+
2 x 512MB DDR400 DIMMs,
60GB Maxtor parallel IDE disk,
CDROM,
Floppy
ATI Rage 128 AGP Card, (Also tested Trident Blade XP with same
results)
450 watt PS.

***** None of the Stable, Test or Development releases work on
this motherboard. *****

The install goes fine. Upon Reboot the system consistantly hangs
either at the point just before or just after going into run level
5. So... we tried to set it for run level 3 and run level 1 on
boot by changing the /etc/inittab file and it still hung at
various places before giving a login prompt. No errors were found
in the /var/log/messages files.

The system locks up hard! A complete power down is required to get
the system to respond again. Turning off sound, SATA, ACPI, APM,
BIOS Shadow, IDE DMA and setting fail-safe or Optimum defaults had
no effect on the system.

Install was not even possible for RH 9.0 / WhiteBox versions as
the IDE driver only saw the SATA chip but never saw the Parallel
IDE interface nor the drives attached to the PATA interface.
Turning off the SATA interface in the BIOS HAD NO EFFECT on either
of these versions....

NOTE: this motherboard and hardware configuration installed and
ran Windows XP Pro fine.

If you intend to run Linux on an Athlon 64 -- !!!! DO NOT USE THIS
motherboard !!!!

We have also had trouble getting Shuttle to respond to our
technical requests. In fact we have had no response to our linux
questions from shuttle even though we have made repeated requests.

Buyers of Shuttles products intending to install linux should
consider other vendors when trying to build an AMD64 based system.

Seth Bardash

Integrated Solutions and Systems
1510 North Gate Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80921

http://www.integratedsolutions.org

Phone: 719-495-5866
Fax:   719-495-5870

Supplier of AMD, Intel and SPARC Servers and Systems running
Windows, Linux, Solaris and VxWorks.

---