Controlling where an application's new child window is created...

I'm using FC1 with gnome essentially 'out-of-the-box'. Is there a way to keep new windows created by an application in the same workspace window as the parent? For example, when I push the scan button on Xsane and then switch to a new workspace to do something else because it takes a long time, it puts the new scan window right over what I'm working on. I'd rather it put the new window on the workspace of the parent so as not to interrupt what I'm doing. Then when I'm ready I would switch workspaces over to where the Xsane application is.

I'd like the solution to be application independent if possible, since I'd like the same thing for things like eclipse and such.

Thank you for any advice,

-Brian