From: WipeOut [mailto:wipe_out@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 9:03 PM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Anythnig to watch out for on a laptop?

Hi,

I just sold my old Laptop and so I am now looking for a new one..

Mee Too..

Is there anything to stay away from that has major issues with FC or Linux in general?

Modems. 56K that is.. Unless you have broadband, so that's a non-issue.

Issues with built in WiFi?

Working. Ndiswrapper.

Are Centrino's any good? It seems like they have taken a step backwards and lowered the processor speed..

In some cases, the extra cache makes thing faster. eg: During video
encoding, I compare (not apple to apple) on a D600 1.4G 512Ram vs
2.4G P4 512M Ram (desktop). FPS using Helix Producer gets me like 11-12 FPS vs 10-11 FPS on the desktop

So.. you be the judge.

Oh.. and Battery life if it's anything to you, the D600's Batt life sucks. 2:30 hours on a 6 cell.

:(

check-out tuxmobil.org to look at the laptops you're interested in.