Re: newbie Telewest Broadband

On 3 Apr 2004, at 18:24, Henry Widd wrote:

Hi, I am new to the whole Linux thing...bear with me. I have just got broadband installed - Telewest Blueyonder. I found some advice on the internet on how to set up RedHat for this - which basically said I could use <netconfig> to enter everything. This would be fine except that <netconfig> is not a command my computer knows. (When I tried to install the rpm, my machine tells mem that it IS installed already?! How can I use it?)

Anyway, the GUI tool on Fedora does not let me enter the MAC/Physical adress for my PC which is something that is required for it all to work.

If you have any advice, or know of good tutorial/docs to help me pls let me know,

thanks

How do you have your network set up?

If you have your PC going straight into the cable modem, surely you do not need to enter a MAC address as it will use the cable modems one, which will already be registered with telewest?

Also, an easier way would be to use the self help pages of the telewest site and add your PC NICs MAC address into it and register that...

Martin Alderson,
IntechHosting

Email: martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.intechhosting.co.uk