Re: Printing woes - please help!

On 3 Apr 2004, at 17:09, Michael J. Sherman wrote:

Please, please. I need help. Setting up a printer should NOT be this difficult.
But it is. I'd like to just start from scratch with CUPS, but even reinstalling
the CUPS rpm package didn't wipe out my old printer definition. I have a feeling
this is the result of the myriad of different ways of doing things, CUPS, KDE
print, Gnome printing, LPR, etc, all getting mixed up and not working together.
I've googled for days and have found NOTHING useful.

Try deleting the printer from CUPS and install it via GNOME print manager.

It is a result of a myriad of ways of doing things, but i completely agree that printing (and package installation, well excluding apt-get and synaptic) is a complete shambles under Linux. GNOME however does do quite a good job and I've managed to configure many different types of printer (local USB and windows networked) with it. It's not great, but I'm sure it will be improved soon.

Martin Alderson, IntechHosting

Email: martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.intechhosting.co.uk