GUMBY GRUB

is there a trick to the old cp -a blah blah dirs /newdisk
then install lilo from CD, to hard drive upgrades with grub... all we do
with lilo work fine, but seeing as RH seem to not even offer you the
choice to use the most commonly used bootloader around anymore, wonder what
other ppls experiences have been in doing disk upgrades with grub, our
first attempt failed dismally, gave up after 2 hours, when we use the lilo
boxes ( RH9 as it was upgrades to 9 and never a clean install ) and
slackware boxes we can do in 20 mins, and 18 of those 20 is the cp -a :)