Re: Determining IP information for eth0 failed

Nigel Wade wrote:
>It may well be that you can't get DHCP direct from your ISP because of other hardware in
the way.
and Keven Ring wrote:
>Is the switch/hub [pick one, they are different.... :) ] really a Cable Modem/DSL ROUTER

>[that is, on the original box, did it say either Cable Modem Router or DSL Router, or
>both?].
Where the fibre-cable enters my house, I've three boxes on the wall. First it enters a
box, model NIU-2D4TB from Dinh-Telecom (I couldn't find much info about it, except for
the fact that Dinh-Telecom is a Belgian company). Where there is a label "-5dB/1dB", a
coax cable exits and goes to a Motorola SB4200E SURFboard Cable Modem
http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?ProductID=180). From there a
cable goes to a "5 Port Mini-Hub" (no model or vendor visible on the box). From there, 2
cables exit, one to PC1, the other to PC2.

>Is [the Windows] PC1 getting an IP address from your ISP?
Using the command "winipcfg" I get this information:
adaptoradress:     00-03-E1-40-35-90
IP-address:         81.83.45.35
subnetmask:        255.255.254.0
Standard Gateway:  81.83.44.1

>How many leases have you purchased from your ISP?
Have no clue... I subscribe to a service that allows me to have 2 PCs connected to the
internet, each one with their own IP-address. For those who understand dutch, the product
info page is: http://www.telenet.be/producten/internet/telenet_internet/duo/index.php
,and the installation layout is at
http://www.telenet.be/producten/internet/installatie/installatie_duo_quattro/index.php It
mentions that you only need a hub and no router, but no word about leases.

>Did you purchase the cable modem?
My ISP installed it, so I guess I lease it from them.

So it seems that what you said (that my hub won't do Network Address Translation [NAT]
and/or that my cable modem only allows for exactly 1 network card MAC address and
completely IGNORES other requests) is happening.

IF this is the case, I will likely go for option 2 you suggested (purchasing a 2nd
Network Interface Card [NIC] (~$10-20 US) for PC2, connect the cable modem to the machine
that has 2 network cards , connect the other card to the hub, set up NAT, install a
Firewall, and possibly reset my cable modem.)

Before I do this, are there any other checks that I can perform to know for certain that
this is the case. And can somebody tell me in detail what this lease thing is. If we're
positive, I will install the second NIC and tell how it goes,

Thanks for the good support until now, and looking forward to the feedback,
Jeroen

PS: St0rM wrote:
>However one line that is missing from his file that is in mine by default is "
> ONBOOT='yes' " This tells the system to activate the interface at boot time.
Sorry, my fault. It is in there, but I somehow didn't copy it.

WIN FREE WORLDWIDE FLIGHTS - nominate a cafe in the Yahoo! Mail Internet Cafe Awards  www.yahoo.co.uk/internetcafes