Re: GPG signatures and list mail

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 06:07:54PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I just got informed through personal mail by a list member that my GPG
> signed mail to the list, and equal mails by others, are uncomfortable to
> be read. Because of the signature the mail body comes as an attachment
> (ATT?????.txt) in text format. I think this is very uncomfortable for
> those readers, and being forced to open an attachment ...
>
> The reader who informed me is using Outlook Express. I would now like to
> know if there are other users and clients having difficulties with GPG
> signed mails.

Hi, Alexander.

I sign almost all my emails, and I get this question from time to
time.

Outlook Express is broken. It does not comply with the relevant RFC,
2015. 2015 specifies "MIME Security with Pretty Good Privacy (PGP)".
It was written by Michael Elkins, the original author of mutt (so it's
a reasonable bet that mutt is RFC compliant, at least in this regard
:-).

To the extend that RFCs are the "rules of the road" of the Internet,
it is incumbment on your correspondent to get an RFC compliant mail
reader. There are additional reasons to ditch LookOut!; see "Outlook
Not Good: Effective Practices for Avoiding Digital Infection", by
David Baker,
http://stalin.iodynamics.com/education/outlook_not_good.html For folks
saddled with Outlook, see my netiquette web page for more
resources. http://www.charlescurley.com/netiquette.html

So keep right on signing those emails, and eventually we may drag
those pre-1996 Outlook users kicking and screaming into the XXIth
Century.