Re: VPN with Fedora - PPTP

Christoph Wickert wrote:
Am Mi, den 31.03.2004 schrieb Sébastien Bisoglio um 21:40:

Hi at all,

I am making a VPN with pptp protocol but i haven't find any RPM for pptpd installation or the MSCHAPv2 cryptage for the MS protocol !

Is this normal ?

We aren't able to make this with a Fedora ?

Quote from http://fedora.redhat.com/:
"The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to
build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from
free software"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!

MSCHAPv2, as the names says, is M$ proprietary stuff.

Ok then sorry for the question !

Is-it RPM for this if yes ?

Client:
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-fedora.phtml

Server:

running the ./kernelmod.sh will ask you if it should build an rpm for
you.

But I recommend not using pptp since it's not as secure as openvpn or
IPSec. In addition you'll need to patch your kernel/build a kernelmodule
and update the pppd I think. So OpenVPN or IPSec might be easier to
install, since they are available at Dag Wieers repo -> install via
yum...

I know IPSec is better but my ISP router can't route packets for IPSEC vpn... I can just route TCP or UDP packets !

I dont'know what is open-VPN... L2TP ? Ipsec ? PPTP ? OTher ?

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/openvpn/
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/kernel-module-freeswan/

IPSec is supported by Win 2000, XP and newer, openvpn is also available
as Win32 app.

Christoph

Thanks for the answer !!!