Re: Determining IP information for eth0 failed

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 01:17, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 31.03.2004 schrieb Wolfgang um 15:44:
>
> > Make sure you have the following line in your /etc/hosts file.
> >
> > 127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost.localdomain	localhost
>
> To be correct (as i.e. Sendmail is critical with this line info), the
> correct format of that line in /etc/hosts is in general
>
> IP         long name      short name
>
> 127.0.0.1             localhost.localdomain        localhost
>
> (the long name is for official IP entries the FQDN - fully qualified
> domain name)
>
> > Wolf
>
> Alexander
[snip]

Yep, that's another way of putting it. But the original poster may also
not have any DNS servers configured. Which may be why they have no
internet access when external addresses are pinged. Localhost is mainly
use for local processes, and needs to be there for them to function, and
that also goes for printing etc. (The info I presented above, was simply
cut from my /etc/hosts file, which was originally generated when I
installed FC1. And I don't change it for the reasons I mentioned above)

Wolf