kppp: pppd timed out (not starting)

Hello,

I use fedora here at work and I recently installed it at home, and since
I don't have a broadband connection, I had to use my winmodem, which was
configured perfectly, the problem comes when I have to connect with kppp
(also tried wvdial) and both said that they were timed out expecting
pppd to come up. pppd said something about not being able to start
because some protocol was not active (ip maybe?), then I just configured
an ip address on my network card (which is not connected anywhere) and
tried again connecting via dial up, which worked fine.

Now, is there anyway of doing this without configuring the eth0
interface and just start pppd normally?

Thanks,

Jose Aristides Tamayo

Importante.

Confidencialidad:
Esta comunicación es dirigida  para la persona de nombre arriba mencionada y
puede ser confidencial y/o legalmente privilegiada.  Algunas opiniones expresadas
en esta comunicación no necesariamente son las de la compañía.
Si le ha llegado a usted por error, no debe tomar ninguna acción basada en ella,
ni debe usted copiarla o mostrarla a cualquier otra persona;
por favor borrar/destruir e informar al remitente inmediatamente.

Monitoreo/Virus: Orange puede supervisar todos los email entrantes y salientes
de acuerdo con la legislación actual.  Aunque hemos tomado medidas para asegurarnos
de que este correo y sus archivos adjuntos están libres de cualquier virus,
aconsejamos que, en armonía con una buena práctica computacional el destinatario
deberá asegurarse de que esté realmente libre de virus.

Orange Dominicana es una subsidiaria de Orange SA y está registrada en
República Dominicana con su dirección en la Calle Victor Garrido Puello No. 23,
Ensanche Piantini, Santo Domingo, República Dominicana http://www.orange.com.do

Important.

Confidentiality: This communication is intended for the above-named person and
may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this
communication are not necessarily those of the company. If it has come to you
in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to
anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.
Monitoring/Viruses
Orange may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
legislation. Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
Orange Dominicana is a subsidiary of Orange SA and is registered in Dom. Rep.
with its address at Victor Garrido Puello St. No. 23, Ens. Piantini,
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic http://www.orange.com.do