Re: motherboard decision help

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:54:05 -0600
Christopher Bottaro <cbottaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2004, at 1:41 AM, Randy Kelsoe wrote:
> > I am using the GigaByte GA-7N400 Pro2 MB, which uses the Nvidia
> > nforce2 chipset. I'm not using any of the Nvidia drivers. This mobo
> > uses the RealTek 8169 onboard gigabit lan, and not the nforce2 lan.
> > I tried using the Nvidia drivers for the onboard sound, and they had
> >
> > problems. Anaconda selected the intel8x0 driver for the onboard
> > video, and that works much better than the Nvidia driver. This mobo
> > has worked well with RH9 (but needed a later kernel), and has worked
> > well with FC1 right out of the box. It's almost twice the price of
> > the GA-7VT600-L, but it has SATA, RAID, and Dual Channel memory. I'm
> > not using the RAID, but SATA works (though not at full speed yet),
> > and dual channel memory is about 50% faster than single channel
> > mode. There is also a cheaper model that does not have the RAID and
> > SATA, and has a 100base T NIC.
>
> excuse my naivety, but is dual channel memory and hardware raid OS
> transparent?

dual-channel RAM, yes. Hardware RAID, no -- you will need to tweak your
kernel for that.

> i'm looking to build a new computer also.  i can't decide if its going
> to be a windows box (for games) or a linux system.  if i can afford
> it, i want SATA, RAID 0, and dual channel memory.  if the hardware
> RAID is transparent to the OS, i'd rather do that.

Well, you can have both (a dual boot system), that's what I have here. I
have a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, which has dual-channel mem and onboard SATA
RAID. I personally don't use SATA RAID yet, but I've read reports on
this list of people using it successfully.

> a couple of questions.
>
> 1)  how do i know if dual channel memory is working?  is it OS
> transparent, or do i need to install drivers?

In my case, BIOS prints useful diagnostics during boot.

> 2)  "but SATA works (though not at full speed yet)", how do you know
> what speed its working at?

hdparm -T /dev/hdX
hdparm -t /dev/hdX

> 3)  how do you know if you got the RAID setup properly?

Can't help you with this, sorry.

> btw, i heard nforce2 has issues with linux:
> http://atlas.et.tudelft.nl/verwei90/nforce2/
> opinions?

My mobo uses this chipset. Network can only be achieved with NVidia
drivers, but works well (there is a reverse-engineered GPL driver in the
wild, but it is still beta AFAIK). ALSA supports nforce2 just
fine (actually better than NVidia).

HTH

Andre

--