Periodic, temporary screen weirdness. (FC1 / Matrox Millenium)

After using the machine for a while, everything will be fine and *boom*. It appears to change the resolution and then I get thrown back into my X session but it's all screwed up. There's some funky lines on the top half of the display and everything seems to be frozen. I can sort of see an outline of the windows open, but I can't do anything. If I hit the keyboard or use the mouse while in this state, it will change things around by the time it comes back.

But, every time it does this I get to sit there for a good 10 seconds before it returns, all back to normal. It seems to do this about every 10 minutes or so.

I thought, maybe it was the screen saver, so I changed it to something else. Then I turned it off. Although I'm actively using the machine, one wouldn't think that to be the problem. I've tried changing the resolution, refreshrate, color depth, etc. I've kept up to date with my packages, so I'm not sure what's going on. I don't have any fancy hardware going on.

Everything else works great, but this does get pretty annoying.  Any ideas?

FC1
kernel 2.4.22-1.2174
Pentium II - 266
Matrox Millenium