Re: Samba problem

Steven,

To be more precise, you're not on the same network. Sounds like you're using a VPN to connect the network in NJ to the one in NY.

Most routers do not pass NETBIOS by default, even over a VPN. NETBIOS, also called SMB(Server Message Block) or SAMBA are all synonomous with the windows networking protocol allowing mounting Windows shares and Network Neighborhood browsing based on his windows computer name rather than host IP address, as in TCP/IP.

Check with the person who set up your VPN and get them to enable NETBIOS on the VPN only to/from NY/NJ, ports 137-139.

Cheers,

BC

Steven J. Brown wrote:

I have desktop computers running Windows 2000 at 2 locations (one in New York, the other in New Jersey). Both are on the same network. I have a notebook computer running Fedora Core. I can ping the other computers from the notebook. I can also remotely control them using various VNC clients. However, my problem is with mounting the shared drives of the desktop computers on my notebook. Only the computer at the location where I connect my notebook can be mounted. The distant computer gives me an 'SMB connection failed' error message.

lines from /etc/fstab (passwords fake):

//sbrown/C$ /home/sbrown/ny smbfs username=sbrown,password=abcdefg,rw
//sbrownvldc/D$ /home/sbrown/nj smbfs username=sbrown,password=abcdefg,rw

Using the mount command at the command line also fails.

Any help would be appreciated.

This transmission contains information intended to be confidential and solely for the use of Value Line, Inc., and those persons or entities to whom it is directed. It is not to be reproduced, retransmitted, or in any other manner distributed. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.

-- Brian Chase Phone: 386-775-5366 2345 Hillside Ave. Fax: 309-276-2048 Orange City, FL 32763 Email: networkr0@xxxxxxxxxx

http://openalternatives.net