Re: Making a spare boot up floppy

The easiest way to make a usable (and bootable) image of a boot floppy
is with dd.
Use "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img bs=512 count=2440" to create the file
boot.img that is an exact copy of the floppy.

That will create a bootable image of the floppy that then can be put
back onto another floppy using rawrite from dos/windows, or dd on linux.

Barry Yu wrote:

>1. I made a bootup floppy with     mkbootdisk `uname -r`   in a fat16 format floppy and tested it - it works fine.
>2. I copied all the files in this floppy into my data partition(Fat32)  with   cp /mnt/floppy/*  /mnt/f32_data/ ,
>    used   ls -l  /mnt/f32_data and can see them all in new place;
>        boot.msg
>        initrd.img
>        ldlinux.sys
>        syslinux.cfg
>        vmlinuz
>3. And then I used another new floppy which formatted in f16 and copied all files from data partition into it by
>    cp /mnt/f32_data/*    /mnt/floppy  (This is the second new floppy), used ls -l can seen them all (5 files) in the floppy.
>4. I used this second floppy ( all 5 files I copied from  /mnt/f32_data/ ) to boot FC1 and I saw the message;
>    "Non-System disk or disk error. Replace and press any key when ready" - This floppy simply just can't boot!
>5. I used this same floppy and boot up into FC1, issued commad     mkbootdisk `uname -r`, and then I used it to boot,
>    it works - This indicated that the floppy itself physically is useable.
>6. I compared files in the bootable floppy and contents in my f32_data folder that has the files  boot.msg, initrd.img,
>        ldlinux.sys, syslinux.cfg, vmlinuz, both file names and file size are absolutely the same. The result tells one thing;
>        Only the floppy made by FC1 with bootdisk `uname -r' is bootable, if you transfer or copy files in this floppy into
>        another floppy even the files are there afterwards, the new floppy is not bootable.
>I want copy all contents in the bootable floppy into my data storage partition, and copy them back into a blank floppy in case I need - I had bad experience in open a blend new box of floppy and 3 consecutive floppy even not workable at all! I must prepare if the current boot floppy one day is gone. Moreever, I really want to know above copy process what have I missed that caused the new floppy not bootable even with correct contents in it (At least I can't see what I had missed).
>Thanks for helping.

The boot sector must be written for booting from linux, and a floppy
that is bootable from linux is not readable from windows.

What you did wrong was writing the files onto a dos diskette instead of
making a bootable disk. Even a dos diskette is not bootable if the sys
command has not been used to make it bootable.