486 install (was: Re: Print server)

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Stuart Mackintosh wrote:

> have a look for lp_server, a jetdirect emulator which sits on port 9100
> (default) and uses very low resources. No drivers or spooling needed on
> the 486.

Which begs the question: Has anyone successfully *installed* FC1 on a 486?
For one thing, there is no i386 kernel (other than kernel-BOOT) on the
discs.  For another, at least in RH8 and RH9, the installer wouldn't boot
on some 486's.  I have an old 486 firewall running RH7.3, but I would like
to upgrade it to run the same system my other machines are running.

It doesn't look like RULE has anything packaged up yet.  If what they
already have will work, it would be nice to have a step by step HOWTO.  I
do need to do a network install, as this machine does not have a CD-ROM.

Thanks for any tips!

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences