Re: Fedora core 1 sendmail problems

Am So, den 28.03.2004 schrieb Homer Sapions um 19:00:
> I have been searching the archives of this list and google and not yet found
> the solution to my problem. It seems like this is a common problem with
> sendmail on new installations of Fedora, so I am frustrated by not finding a
> solution that works for me. I would really appreciate any help.
>
> I had a RedHat 7.3 installation working properly, both sending and receiving
> mail with sendmail. I wanted a clean Fedora install, and since then I can
> send, but not receive mail.

From RH 7.3 to FC 1 the Sendmail version changed from major version 8.11
to 8.12 which implicates a major layout change within Sendmail.

> I have modified /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and commented out the line
> dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
> then ran make -C /etc/mail and restarted sendmail with service sendmail
> restart.

That is good, because needed. For security reasons this restriction to
localhost is default.

> I also modified /etc/mail/access and added
> localhost.localdomain           RELAY
> localhost                       RELAY
> 127.0.0.1                       RELAY
> myserver.mydomain.org   RELAY

Better erase that line and exchange it with

192.168				RELAY

> then restarted sendmail.

No restart needed! If you modify .db files like access/access.db just
run afterwards "make -C /etc/mail". Changes will take place immediately.

> I have a 4 port linksys as a router/firewall between my cable modem and my
> server (and 2 other PCs). Port forwarding is enabled on the linksys to allow
> http traffic, and smtp on port 25 to be forwarded to the server - which was
> all working correctly before the Fedora install.

Ok.

> I ran ethereal and watched connections, not that I understand much of the
> packet info. I see connection attempts, but external mail servers never
> complete a connection. The typical pattern seems to be a remote server sends
> a SYN on port 25, I reply with SYN,ACK. Remote sends a SYN, I send 2
> SYN,ACKs. Remote sends a SYN, and I send 3 SYN,ACKs, and eventualy the rmote
> gives up.

This should be better investigated.

> >From any PC inside my network I can telnet to the server on port 25 and
> issue basic smtp instructions. I can do the same locally with 127.0.0.1
> e.g.
> # telnet myserver.mydomain.org 25
> Trying 192.168.1.12...
> Connected to myserver.mydomain.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 myserver.mydomain.org ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10/8.12.10; Sun, 28 Mar 2004
> 11:41:01 -0500
> mail from: someone@xxxxxxx
> 250 2.1.0 someone@xxxxxxxxxx Sender ok
> rcpt to: homer
> 250 2.1.5 homer... Recipient ok
> data
> 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
> Subject: test message
> this is a test

Looks ok.

Check that you have following line in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost

Also check the output of "sendmail -bt -d0.12 < /dev/null".

If you like (and do not post the info to the whole list) you can
privately mail me your mailserver IP address / hostname and the output
of the command above. You might also increase the loglevel for Sendmail
with following line in sendmail.mc:

define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `15')dnl

This will result and a more verbose output to /var/log/maillog.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 19:41:08 up 9 days, 3:23, load average: 0.04, 0.10, 0.08
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]