Re: Bogus Email- Need help to do detective work

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 10:34, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> To see the raw e-mail message on mozilla , go to the "View" menu ,
> "Message body as" and choose "plain text". This will give you all the
> headers , unformatted html code , etc.
> If there are links in the message , see if they point to ip addresses..
> Send the message source to your bank  ,so can they can give this
> information to the police so they can track down these criminals.
>
> --
> Pedro Macedo

Now that you are in the source, you can see which "open relay" the
spammer originated from.  Unfortunately there really isn't too much any
one person can do about it.  You could try to contact
{postmaster,abuse,root}@originating.server.tld

That is; send an email to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx, abuse@xxxxxxxxxxx, ...
and tell them to lock down their mail machine.
Hopefully one of them will get through and the owner will oblige.

Best of luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  Yes that is rather
pessimistic, but also realistic.

Chris
--
Software Engineering IV,