Re: RedHat-10.0 ?? what release is this?

Am So, den 28.03.2004 schrieb Paul M. Bucalo um 15:43:

> It really doesn't matter to me which is true, but one has to wonder
> since RHEL/WBEL will work better with RH 9 apps than FC1 does. What do
> you think?

What are "RH 9 apps"? I think you mean RPMs compiled on or for Redhat 9,
am I right?

Well, as most applications are compiled dynamically against specific
libraries you should always only choose RPMs for and from your release.
In some cases it might not matter.

As from RH9 to FC1 many libraries got updated - in especial the glibc,
openssl, kerberos got different, and so on - many RPMs for RH9 should
have problems on FC1.

I am not very familiar with RHEL and WBEL. But as these Redhat products
are for the business environment market they are much more conservative
related to updates. In business you want a very stable, reliable,
certified platform and not what Fedora claims to be: "leeding edge for
enthusiasts". This in mind I can imagine that the changes from Redhat 9
to WBEL were not that big so that more RPMs for RH9 can be smoothly
applied on WBEL, maybe even RHEL. But definately it is not recommended
you install RH9 RPMs on RHEL. I think you will get into a situation
where Redhat will decline support for such a "customized" system.

> Paul

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 17:38:59 up 9 days, 1:20, load average: 0.19, 0.14, 0.10
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]