Re: Poll: Customized Fedora

Sounds a lot like what kickstart already can do + extra packages and a
web frontend.

Kickstart is a big part of the idea, if not only because of it's importance in relation to Anaconda. The web portion is to make package resolution easier. Which in my opinion is a pain in the but right now. The web portion would span lots of third-party repositories. That is the reason it is web-based: I think this can only be solved in a networked setting and a webapp is the fastest/easiest way to gurantee that the system is in a networked environment with updated package info. Also, kickstart can add customization through scripting only (pre and post scripts) which is fine but I also want to build a customized Anaconda that is more modular and can have some pre-built functions (Example: Configuration for apache that allows finer grained control of the modules being initialized, sure you could edit the file in /etc but if you are install 5-10 in a loadbalancing situation it becomes a pain). These customizations may best be addressed in the first boot script or Anaconda, depends on the job. Also, all of the additions to Anaconda should be easily scriptable using kickstart.