Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1394

Parameshwara Bhat wrote:

Hello Friends,

I recently posted a mail asking if anybody could guide me as to how to share 'kppp' in fedora core1 with non-root users.It is a home PC shared by members of the family.I would not share root password for fear of ignorant actions affecting security/stability of system.Presently any non-root user has to supply root password to connect(dial up ) to ISP.

I have followed all actions suggested by Scott Burns and Stone Beat but that has not solved the isuue.Basically what I did was to SUID on /usr/sbin/kppp and edit /etc/pam.d/kppp to comment out a line.Nothing has worked.

Are there any more ideas on what could be or what should be done ?

Add each of the users into the sudoers list, and provide the ability for them to connect/disconnect that way. They then only need their own password.
man sudo, man sudoers, man visudo

Coming from MSWindows environement,I would think security being so tight as not allow non-root users of desktop an internet connection very crazy. I chose Power Desktop Installation and a decent user-oriented installation should have set this automatically . Is Linux not to be used on desktops and layman users?