Stuttering via HDSP, Cardbus, Multiface?

Hello!

Has anyone experienced stuttering and very slow playback via RME multiface, cardbus, and Alsa on a notebook, or other computer? I am using the CCRMA low latency kernel on Fedora.

How can I fix it?

My machine has is 2.8 Pentium 4, plenty of horsepower, and two pcmcia slots (only one works with hdsploader for some reason).

I know that I have alsa installed correctly because when I modify the modules.conf file to use the internal sound card and speakers, everything is very fine playing audio back via xmms, audacity, csound(from the command line), and pd.

However, once I switch over to the hdsp in the modules.conf file, everything runs but extremely slow... Audacity will take a minute to launch and then will play back a 2 minute file over 5 minutes, the sound out of the multiface is stuttering and distorted. (Very beautiful in a twisted sort of way!)

My guess is that the problem is the pcmcia bus is somehow 2000 times slower than it should be.. csound seems to confirm this hypothesis from the command line when attempting realtime synthesis:

$ csound -d -o devaudio toot01.orc toot01.sco Using default language 0dBFS level = 32767.0 Csound Version 4.23f03 (Nov 18 2003) orchname: toot01.orc scorename: toot01.sco orch compiler: 32 lines read sorting score ... ... done Csound Version 4.23f03 (Nov 18 2003) displays suppressed 0dBFS level = 32767.0 orch now loaded audio buffered in 1024 sample-frame blocks hardware buffers set to 2048 bytes writing 2048-byte blks of shorts to devaudio

SECTION 1:
ftable 1:
new alloc for instr 1:
/dev/dsp: could not write all bytes requested
/dev/dsp: could not write all bytes requested
/dev/dsp: could not write all bytes requested
/dev/dsp: could not write all bytes requested
/dev/dsp: could not write all bytes requested
/dev/dsp: could not write all bytes requested

[1]+  Stopped                 csound -d -o devaudio toot01.orc toot01.sco

Thanks for the help!

-Tim